08 March 2010

I Too Get Inspiration From Julia Child

So, Gentle Reader, have you viewed Julie & Julia? Read--or suffered through, in my opinion--one or both of the books the movie used as source material? Okay, I'll confess that initially I enjoyed Julia's My Life in France, but once the narrative moved past the time when she and her husband were living in France full time and came to focus on when she was largely engrossed in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I grew disenchanted. I mean, it takes a lot of gall (Gaul!) to lament one's inability to drop everything and escape from the demanding world of public television production and book tours to hide away in one's cozy little hideaway in Provence. What a hard life that must have been!

(As for Julie & Julia the book...well, I pray to the FSM that I don't come across as that petulant and immature in my writings here on this blog. Granted, maybe the authoress' own blog posts don't suffer this problem and I wouldn't know since I have not read the blog itself. But her retelling of her culinary misadventures--and other life happenings during that time--in novel form are just...taxing.)

While I haven't yet watched the movie and may not ever unless I get a freebie rental from Redbox (because yes, Gentle Reader, I am that cheap and won't pay a buck to watch a movie), I've read enough about Julia Child to (1) be just about full-up with her and her life and her metamorphosis and (2) actually get one useful culinary thing from it all.

And here it is!

"Here is what, exactly?" you ask, Gentle Reader? Well, isn't it obvious?

No, it's not her fashion sense. And no, it's not in those books before her. It's certainly not in her coiffure.

Here, maybe this'll make it more obvious:
D'you see it now?

Okay, let me make it painfully obvious:
VoilĂ !

That's right, Gentle Reader. Julia Child--along with her husband, Paul--inspired me to hang some of my pots. My cabinets are crammed and simply too full to accommodate the All-Clad sauté pan and sauce pan I scored two weekends ago at Marshall's. Since the kitchen's crappy fluorescent lighting is recessed in the slightly drop ceiling, I thought, Hell, why not remove part of that cracked light panel and make use of that wall space in the recessed lighting...thing!

A trip to Home Despot, then to (B)Lowe's and finally to IKEA later, I have nifty hanging pan storage. I may never get the kitchen of my dreams, but I've got more storage space--and what more can a faudie want?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP