04 February 2009

The Making of Artoo, Day Two

or
The Making of a Masterpiece, Day Two

Okay, Gentle Reader, the finished cake's not that great, but I have to admit that I surprised myself by how well it turned out.

And I did in about half the time I estimated--just about 3 hours, excluding breaks to pick up the boy, use the facilities, shoo Bucket off the oven, find a missing mousie for Bucket, feed Parmer and just take a breather.

Nevertheless, I've been on my feet practically nonstop since about...well, practically since I got my arse out of bed at 5:30 this morning. Which means I'm tired. Damn tired. Too tired to write much about doing the cake. So instead, I present you with a slideshow of my work. Enjoy!


If you're perhaps wondering if I've done all this work in vain, Gentle Reader, I will say that the boy did give me a hug shortly before I finished the cake. Of course, that was about half an hour after I'd snarled at him that he'd better be grateful for the R2-D2 cake I'm making him for this birthday when he started rambling on and on about how for his next birthday, he wanted an R2-D2 cake made just like the one I made for Daddy years ago.

Speaking of that first Artoo masterpiece, I was wrong when I wrote that I'd made it in 2000. I actually made in 2001. I turned 25 in 2000; the husband turned 25 in 2001. If I can ever get the damn thing uploaded to YouTube, I plan to share with you a commemorative video of that first Artoo cake that the husband put together back in the day. So, uh, stay tuned, Gentle Reader!

UPDATE
YouTube had actually uploaded the video each time I tried even though it kept spitting out an error message. Grrr. Oh well, here's the promised video. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Melissa February 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

Nice cake! Good call on going for the "real" cake. It is a special day after all! Hope you got the message that I left. Tell the kiddo happy birthday again from Auntie Lis and Uncle Phil!

Sarah Naseem Walker February 6, 2009 at 6:37 AM  

Thanks! I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed decorating the thing after I got over my initial near-paralyzing fear that I was going to screw the thing up! And, yeah, following Betty's recipe was a good idea. Ahh well, sometimes you can futz and win, and sometimes ya just can't.

I feel so awful because I accidentally deleted your message! I had three on the machine when I got home, and I was trying to get rid of the two from my parents and hit the Delete button one too many times. I'm very sorry!

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP