26 September 2010

Score!

Oh, Gentle Reader, it's funny how life presents you with little gifts when you least expect them.

Earlier this summer, I slightly rearranged the kitchen to make room for the second refrigerator we received. (We hadn't originally intended to have two working refrigerators and had actually intended the new arrival to replace the aging-but-still-functional one that had conveyed with our house. But I was slow to clean out the old one in order to put it up for sale on Craigslist, and we soon realized how damn convenient having two functional refrigerators is.) The long buffet of a design reminiscent of Japanese temple gates went into the yoga room to make room for refrigerator #2, which meant I had to find a new way to hide the three remaining bread machines I'd collected. Which meant I had to finally unpack a big box of kitchen crap I'd tucked into the pantry after we moved to Chez Boeckman-Walker in late 2001, and doing so gave me a place for those bread machines. I was happy.

And then the husband and I went Goodwill hunting today. It's Halloween time, and Goodwill is the best damn place to shop for Halloween stuff and other things because Goodwill saves the best stuff for Halloween time. On a larf, we strolled down the household appliance aisle and, lo and behold, my eyes fell upon the Holy Grail of bread machines.

Yes, Gentle Reader, it was the Zo.

If you're not in the know (and how could you not be, Gentle Reader!) about bread machines, the Zo is the Zojirushi BBCC-X20 (or the BB-CEC20 or the BB-HAC10) bread machine. As well all know, Japan totally rocks at making life-changing household appliances and bathroom fixtures, and Zojirushi means top of the line stuff, even in Japan. Back in the day, I coveted a Zojirushi rice maker because they were slick, sleek and...Japanese. Zojirushi bread makers were raved about in the numerous online posts and product reviews when I first started investigating these kitchen wonders, and I believe that my inspiration for making bread on my own--Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle featured a Zo.

Of course, the $240 price tag was a wee bit prohibitive, and I quickly learned to love my Welbilts and my Breadmen that I'd acquired from Goodwill for a mere pittance.

But then today, miracle of miracles, I stumbled upon a Zo just waiting for me at Goodwill. I hastily rushed to its side, removed the tape sealing the oven door, peeked inside and almost squealed in delight. Not only were the paddles present (a rarity for many of these donated bread machines), but it also had its original, well-preserved, four-color instruction/recipe booklet and a measuring cup. The bread pan was in great shape, and the unit itself hadn't a scratch or a ding on it.

I held that Zo to me like it were my own child as the husband and I finished our rooting and rummaging at the store. I even politely but firmly refused one of the employee's offers to get me a cart for the thing. No way in hell was I letting my Zo go!

I haven't had a chance yet to clean Zo up, for it was indeed used by the previous owner. Given the fantastic shape it's in, my Zo's previous owner cared for it as much as I will care for it. Now all we have to do is decide what recipe we want to use with it for its participation in the ongoing (never-ending?) Battle of the Bread Machines. Stay tuned, Gentle Reader!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP