18 December 2008

So You're Eager to Do 'Something Good,' Keanu?

Then just leave it alone.

By it, Gentle Reader, I mean Cowboy Bebop, that totally kick-ass anime from my slightly younger days. The anime that is just.... Well, Gentle Reader, if you've never seen it, hithee to YouTube or some other site or--gasp!--Netflicks to view yourself some Cowboy Bebop.

Anywho, that paragon of acting talent Keanu Reeves spoke to MTV recently about heading up a live action adaptation of Bebop. And while I know that this project will most likely never see the light of day (err, the dark of a movie theater) if the great and gracious FSM is willing, I just want to ralph at the thought of this moron taking a stab at it. Bebop was just fine the way it is. It has never at any point called out for a live action version or a sequel (although I seem to recall that Cartoon Network had attempted to get one from the creators after it did so well on Adult swim--despite the fact that the show ends in a way that makes a sequel an obvious cash grab).

I will be ever so happy when 80s and 90s nostalgia goes away. It's bad enough that live action big screen versions of other fondly remembered anime of my youth (yes, my truly younger days) such as Robotech (okay, granted, that's an American bastardization of not one but three anime titles) and Voltron (again, an American bastardization of three titles, although only two made it to the airwaves) are allegedly in the works. And, again, while I doubt these projects will ever see the dark of a movie theater (sorry, Tobey McGuire doesn't have that much star power, Robotech fans), I'm not a big fan of anyone screwing around with those few things that were nifty and cool for their time. I mean, look at the calamity that was Speed Racer.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP