09 September 2009

Huffin' and Puffin' All the Way


Y'know what sucks, Gentle Reader? Just recently, I registered for my first half-marathon. I did it because I was feeling great, I was jazzed that I'd gotten my pace to just over 7 minutes a mile and felt confident I wouldn't terribly embarrass myself attempting a real half-marathon. Naturally, the universe has found it necessary to humble me and my running: My asthma is back. Grr.

What's crazy about this bout with lung fun is that it seems not to be linked to the triggers diagnosed last fall when my doc determined I've got the condition. No siree, no allergies or cold weather to trigger the bronchospasms. This time around, it seems the breathing issues are possibly triggered by vitamin D deficiency and, having learned that my hematocrit has dropped on Tuesday during my latest plasma-selling appointment, borderline anemia. I suppose that all that great running I was doing this summer put a drain on my body, and now me and my lungs are possibly suffering the consequences. The good news is that I still have a month and two days--well, one day--to turn things around.

Speaking of marathons, I've signed the boy up to once again take part in Marathon Kids. While last year he put in his 26.2 miles during school, this year he and I will be doing it together after school. Unfortunately, his new school doesn't participate in the program, so I signed him up as an independent family. What's great about Marathon Kids is that it's totally free to all participants thanks to its sponsors. That's especially nice since I can't even imagine what we would potentially have to shell out to take part considering that registration fees for half-marathons and marathons are $75 and up--and that's if you find out about the event in time to get in on the early bird reduced fee!

So, I guess there's no rest for the oxygen-deprived, and I only have myself to blame. But, really, you won't hear me complaining--because I won't be able to get in a big enough breath to do it!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP