04 October 2008

Shopping Sucks

All right, Gentle Reader, don't hate me for saying what I'm about to say. That would be a natural reflex given our appearance-obsessed, jealousy-rich culture, but try to read on with an open mind, for the heart of my complaint isn't unique to my own experience.

All right? All right.

Being a size 4 totally sucks. I lost weight so that I could find clothes that fit me, yet I'm right back where I started--I can't friggin' find clothes that fit! Where once I had problems finding the sizes I wore because they were in demand, now I can't find the size I wear because in a lot of a style, typically a store where I can afford to shop receives only one or two size 4s. I suspect if I went to a store with higher prices, I'd be able to find more selection in my size--as if only rich women can afford to be a size 4. Ha!

And don't even get me started on trying to buy jeans. Size 4 tall? Fuggedaboutit! Size 4 relaxed fit? Fuggedaboutit! No, the only options available to me are slim fit designs, and I don't have the body for slim fit jeans. I have hips, thank you very much. And those hits preclude me from moving into the juniors department to look for pants because teen girls in some mass merchandise designers' minds don't have hips, which is the biggest myth ever.

As for skirts, I actually have to search for a size 2 because I don't have to worry about fitting pants legs over my muscular thighs but do have to find a waistband that fits. And my waist has always been a size smaller than my hips/thighs/ass area, so even the size 4 skirts hang off my hip bones.

Yeah, sure, I could stop running and working out, put on some weight and perhaps find clothes that fit. Yeah, like that's a great strategy. Guess I'll just stick to primarily wearing workout clothes (because the only places I go are to the gym and then to HEB and Wally World right after) and summer dresses (because we might see an end to summer-like weather sometime in late November).

And speaking of running, I gotta run to the gym so I can get home to then take the boy to start his own six-month marathon.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP