03 July 2009

Six Years Ago Today

July 3, 2003 was a day and a half for the husband and I. That was the day we brought the boy home from Seoul. It wasn't long simply because here we were, two fairly intelligent and capable adults trying to manage as new parents. Or that we were trying to do that while traveling with an almost-five-month-old kiddo halfway around the world.

No, the day literally was a day and a half for us because we crossed the International Date Line against counter the direction the earth revolves. Given that we largely lost June 30 to travel, it seemed only fair, I suppose, that we get to enjoy an exceedingly long July 3.

Our flight from Seoul to Los Angeles left at 4:30 p.m. (Seoul time) and landed around 11:30 a.m. (WDT), I think. After spending some oh so delightful time in the hospices of U.S. immigration at LAX, we hopped a shuttle bus from the international terminal to the domestic terminal where Southwest has its L.A. ops and eventually caught a flight to Phoenix, landing there sometime around 6 p.m. (local time), I think.

I apologize, Gentle Reader, for imprecision. The day was a blur at the time, and my memories of it have not cleared with time. Trust me when I say you should be thankful you didn't experience it yourself.

After a two-hour or longer layover in Phoenix, where it was damn hot, even in the terminal, our little trio boarded a flight to Austin, landing around 11:30 p.m. (CDT).


The rest, you could say, is history still being made.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP