05 November 2009

Loss

We had a loss in the family yesterday. It came quite unexpectedly.

One of our bread machines has apparently gone to Electronics Heaven.

(Yes, Gentle Reader, there is an Electronics Hell. But it's a hell on earth, for it's the place you are when you can get an infernal device to work or work the right way. The experience of calling a technical support hotline is it's own circle of Hell.)

Midday yesterday, I was whipping up another loaf--a futzed recipe!--for the boy's lunches in the Breadman TR444, a machine I've come to enjoy using for its many options (most of which I haven't used) and its relative compact size. No more than 10 minutes after starting the cycle, the thing stopped. I wasn't in the kitchen at the time, but I knew the first kneading phase was longer than 10 minutes. Sure enough, the "Knead" button was still illuminated, but the paddle wasn't moving.

I stopped the cycle, unplugged the machine and pushed aside the developing dough to make sure the paddle hadn't come off the stem. Nope, it was still secure. Puzzled but not yet alarmed, I restarted the cycle, fearing more for the overdevelopment of the dough than for the machine.

Some eight minutes later, the machine stopped again. Okay, maybe there's something wrong with the whole wheat option, I considered. So I unplugged the machine, plugged it back in and chose a different cycle, the white with light crust option.

Can you guess what happened some eight minutes later?

I removed and replaced the pan to make sure it was seated well. I then attempted to start up yet another option, the rapid deluxe cycle, but the Breadman spit an error code at me. Of course, I couldn't find the damn manual I'd downloaded for this model to see what the code was about (it indicated the machine was too hot, I later learned), and choosing a fourth cycle option caused the error code to display again.

Fearing for the loaf--for I wasn't about to throw it out--I grabbed the Breadman TR555 off the floor, fished the paddle out of the TR444 bucket (the machines use the same paddle) and put it in place in the TR555 bucket, then transferred the dough. The dough at this point, Gentle Reader, was very stretchy--almost like gooey mozzarella on a hot pizza but slightly less viscous. Those poor overdeveloped proteins! I silently wailed as I got the rapid whole wheat cycle started on the second machine.

I listened with an attentive ear to the TR555, but it did its job as best it could with what it was given to work with. When the baking cycle ended, I was surprised to find such a squat loaf. Hell, I was happy the dough had risen much at all given that it had gone through four kneadings with precious little resting and rising time.

Holding my breath, I cut into the finished loaf, sure that I'd find a texture reminiscent of Swiss cheese because of the overdeveloped proteins. But no, it had no holes large enough to drive a school bus through. Sure, the bread was a bit chewy, but it's edible--and for the boy's lunches, that's kinda all that matters.

The futzed recipe was my attempt to blend the boy's new favorite loaf and my preferred loaf for him.

Crunchy Whole Wheat Bread
7.5 oz. water
1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C wheat flakes
1/4 C honey
1 t salt
1 T gluten
1 T butter
1 T dry milk
2 1/4 t active dry yeast
  1. Add the ingredients to the pan in the order recommended by the bread machine' manufacturer.
  2. Select the Whole Wheat option.
  3. Start the cycle
Yield: 1 one-pound loaf

Nutritional Info
Nada

The Faudie's Futzings
I was this close to using agave nectar in lieu of the honey, but I didn't. I was taking enough of a chance substituting a third of a cup of the whole wheat flour, which is pretty dense, with the even denser wheat flakes. I didn't want to risk the agave not providing enough fuel for the yeast to do its job.

Of course, these were all concerns I had before I ran into technical difficulties. Le sigh....

Despite its chewiness, the bread has the wonderful nutty flavor you'd expect from whole wheat. The occasional soft crunch of one of the wheat flakes is an added bonus.

So what does a faudie do with an apparently broken bread machine that only cost her $11? I suspect the belt that turns the paddle stem is in need of replacement, but that would cost more than the machine itself, I suspect. I'll probably give the pan to Mum, who is now the proud owner of the TR444's twin that once claimed floor space in our kitchen. As for the machine itself, I might hold on to it just to have the thrill of disassembling it and looking inside. I enjoy doing that.

Yeah, I know, Gentle Reader. I'm a freak.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP