30 June 2009

About That Strawberry Granita

So that strawberry granita I was preparing when I made mole in hopes of having that night but had to put off for another night because I'd underestimated the required freezing time? Yeah, the husband and I didn't so much wait.

Here's the story....

After the granita had been in the freezer (the chest freezer in the garage, for our refrigerator's freezer had no room at the inn) roughly three hours, I went out to stir it as the recipe required. Upon removing the lid of the blender container (I was lazy and didn't pour the stuff into a more suitable container), I discovered the granita had a nice slushie-like consistency. Since the husband and I are big fans of slushies.... Well, Gentle Reader, you can probably guess the end of the story.

Strawberry Granita
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C warm water
3 C sliced strawberries
2 T fresh lemon juice
  1. Combine the sugar and water in a blender, then process until sugar dissolves.
  2. Add the strawberries and lemon juice, then process until smooth.
  3. Pour the mixture into an 8" square baking dish, cover and freeze 3 hours.
  4. After three hours, stir the mixture well, then over and freeze an additional 5 hours or overnight.
  5. Remove the mixture from freezer and let it stand at room temperature 10 min.
  6. Scrape the entire mixture with a fork until fluffy.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Nutritional Info
Calories: 136
Fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 0.8 g
Carbs: 34.4 g
Fiber: 2.9 g
Sodium: 2 mg

The Faudie's Futzings
Obviously, Gentle Reader, I omitted steps 4, 5 and 6 and only did part of step 3, all to no ill effects. The only other change I made was that instead of warm water, I used the juice that remained after I'd thawed the strawberries I'd stowed in the freezer almost three months ago. Luckily I had exactly half a cup, so I put that in the blender, then I threw in half a cup of C&H. (Shocking, I know, Gentle Reader, that I used regular white sugar and not some replacer product or agave!)

Oh, I didn't process the strawberry juice and sugar to dissolve the latter into the former. I just let the stuff sit in the blender while we ate supper, then stirred it a little with a small rubber scraper. Job done!

Doesn't look terribly different after three hours of freezing, does it?

If you have three cups of strawberries and a lemon on hand, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of strawberry granita. Very tasty! And I'm sure if you follow the recipe more precisely than I did, it's probably still very tasty.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP