15 June 2009

Blueberry Barack Burgers

Unless you've been living under a rock, Gentle Reader, you probably learned, like the rest of the world, that Pesident Obama likes his burgers with Dijon mustard--and the world then turned upside in shock and horror (if right wingers are to be believed). I personally never cared for any sort of mustard on my burgers when I ate them: Give me ketchup, mayo, lettuce and maybe some reconstituted McD's onions. Hell, I was sort of a ketchup freak in my fast food-eating days. I liked it on my burgers, it was the only thing I ever put on my hot dogs (even the cheese-filled ones) and it was the only thing I ate with my chicken grizzle nuggets. I'm sure those preferences turns the stomachs of many people out there, just as Obama's preference for Dijon on his burger turns the stomachs and ridiculously roils the...whatever of certain idiots out there.

So what does Barack's preference for what can be spooned out of a Grey Poupon jar have to do with the ongoings of the kitchen here at Chez Boeckman-Walker? Well, Gentle Reader, read on and find out.

Blueberry-Beef Burgers
2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
1/3 C fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 t Dijon mustard
1 t Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t salt OR to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 oz. 90%-lean ground beef
  1. Place bread in a food processor, pulse into fine crumbs then transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Puree blueberries, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor, then scrape mixture into the bowl with the breadcrumbs.
  3. Add ground beef to crumbs and blueberry mixture and mix well with a potato masher.
  4. Form four patties 1/2" thick and about 4" in diameter.
  5. Preheat broiler or heat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
  6. Cook patties until browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 min. per side, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160 degrees F.
Nutritional Info
Calories: 200
Fat: 9 g
Sat fat: 4 g
Protein: 19 g
Carbs: 10 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 352 mg

The Faudie's Futzings
I really didn't futz with this recipe, so instead, Gentle Reader, I'll finally get around to telling you the story of how I came to make these burgers and connect them with Barack Obama.

The husband forwarded a collection of blueberry-containing recipes collected by MSNBC or some other odd source, noting that he was salivating over this particular burger recipe. I gawked at it and thought it had potential but put it in an folder of recipe links I rarely enter because, hey, we're not beef eaters here at Chez Boeckman-Walker and, hey, blueberries are expensive.

And then I was at HEB two weeks ago and found most of its frozen foods were on sale, including frozen blueberries. Knowing how thrilled the husband would be if I made these burgers, I bit the bullet and bought some blueberries.

(Love that consonance!)

Then I bought a tube of 90/10 ground sirloin and figured making the burgers would be a good way to use up some whole wheat buns I had taking up space in the back of the 'fridge while, as I said a few lines back, giving the husband a thrill.

I considered using the last of my panko in lieu of making crumbs from whole wheat bread, but the bread we buy for the boy's sandwiches is a light whole wheat loaf with a nice nutritional profile. Plus I wasn't sure what kind of yield pulsing two slices would get me, therefore I wouldn't know if I had enough panko to keep the burgers moist while they cooked.

While I was putting the blueberry "sauce" ingredients into the food processor, I took a whiff and realized how potent the two teaspoons of Dijon were. In fact, I told the husband, who was wanting badly to assist me, that the blueberry flavor--if there was meant to be any--would be overwhelmed by the Dijon. "Barack would love these," I told him.

And I was right. There was no detectable blueberry flavor. The husband noted while noshing on his second burger--which he'd eaten plain, after drowning his first in ketchup and perhaps some mayo--that he'd taken a bite that had some hint of blueberry, but just that one bite. Instead, the Dijon was the strongest note, and I'm sure Barack would love that.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP