14 June 2009

Getting Sloshed on a Saturday Night

Summer brings an onslaught of grilling recipes, and I've already discussed our lack of a grill here at Chez Boeckman-Walker. Most of these grilling recipes I pass over, not even giving them the time of day, but when I'm searching for a recipe to use a particular ingredient I have on hand, I'll glance over the ingredients so I can decide if the flavor of the final product would hit the spot and if I can adapt the recipe for more conventional indoor cooking.

So was the case a few days ago. I'd determined we'd have more of the mahimahi from the giant piece I bought back in April, but I wanted to do something different with it instead of the usual ginger-lime bake. A search of MyRecipes.com yielded what I thought had tasty potential, if I could manage to convert it from an outdoor grilling recipe to an indoor...something recipe.

Grilled MahiMahi Skewers With Pineapple-Mandarin Sauce
1/2 C chopped onion
1/3 C honey
1/2 C dry red wine
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T pineapple juice
1 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T mirin or slightly sweet white wine (such as Riesling)
2 C diced fresh pineapple
1 1/2 lb. mahimahi steaks, cut into 24 1" pieces
24 1" fresh pineapple cubes
24 1" green bell pepper pieces
1 T chopped fresh OR 1 t dried rubbed sage
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
  1. Combine the onions and honey in a medium nonstick skillet, place over medium heat and cook 12 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add red wine, balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce and mirin, then cook 10 min.
  3. Stir in diced pineapple, cook 5 min., then keep warm.
  4. Prepare the grill.
  5. Thread three mahimahi pieces, three pineapple cubes and three bell pepper pieces alternately onto each of eight 12" skewers.
  6. Sprinkle the kebabs with sage, salt and black pepper.
  7. Place the kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray and grill 15 min. or until fish is done, turning every 5 min.
  8. Serve with pineapple sauce and sprinkle with chives, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: two kebabs and 1/2 C pineapple sauce)

Nutritional Info
Calories: 392
Fat: 7.8 g
Sat fat: 2 g
Protein: 35.1 g
Carbs: 47.7 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Sodium: 427 mg

The Faudie's Futzings
I know, Gentle Reader, you're asking right now, "So how did you convert this recipe for indoor cooking?" Well, here's how: I wound up making a stir fry. I didn't set out to make a stir fry, and I've never made a fish stir fry before, although I've encountered my fair share of recipes for them. I had originally decided I'd make the sauce in one pan and then saute the mahimahi, green peppers and pineapple in a little bit of olive oil.

But then as I was cooking the wine (I had to break down and show my face in a liquor store and ask the clerk for the cheapest bottle of dry red wine it had in stock because you can't tell these things by just looking at the label, dammit all) and the mirin (another special purchase, although I'm sure it'll get more use than the red wine) and balsamic vinegar (which put me in the mood for balsamic vinegar-glazed chicken and red peppers) and the soy sauce and the pineapple juice with the honeyed onions (thus making them drunk since mirin is sweeted sake), I realized how very similar this concoction (minus the drunken onions) was to stir-fry sauces I've made in the past. That's when inspiration struck: Why not drown my cubed fish in the drunken onion sauce to let it cook that way, then throw in the green pepper strips and pineapple chunks to lightly braise (don't know if that's the right culinary verb here)?

Speaking of those drunken onions, that pineapple-mandarin sauce is damn tasty, Gentle Reader. While the husband and I were waiting for the side dish (more on that in a moment), we were sopping up some of the sauce with some sweeter bread I'd bought on the discount rack at Wally World earlier in the week. I think we both could have dined on that alone.

The fish, in case you're wondering, Gentle Reader, absorbed a good amount of the savory sweetness of the sauce without losing its mild mahimahi flavor.
Drowning Fish in Drunken Onions--Somebody Call PETA

I was really pleasantly surprised the fish turned out as well as it did, and stewing it in the drunken onions was far easier and less messy than if I'd sauted it in its own pan. Perhaps if I were a more skilled saute chef, I could cook the fish without a messy pan that requires lots of scrubbing and without a lingering odor of fish in the kitchen. But I'm not and doubt I ever will be. Oh well.

Here are some other futzings:
  • I don't have any honey, so I used agave nectar instead. I wondered as I was chowing down if using honey might have given the onions--and the completed dish--a slightly sweeter flavor since I find that agave and honey do have noticeably different sweetness profiles. Guess I'll just have to make the dish with honey to find out.
  • I combined the dried sage, salt and pepper in a small bowl then sprinkled it over the bowl of cubed mahimahi shortly before adding it to the drunken onions.
  • I just used a can of chunk pineapple, not 2 cups of diced pineapple and 24 cubes of the stuff. The pineapple juice came from the same can (and I drank what was left after the required 2 tablespoons).
Combined with the tender peppers and pineapple, the completed dish was, in my opinion, very successful.
Colorful, isn't it!

I'm thinking of making the drunken onion sauce--er, the pineapple-Mandarin sauce--again but with chicken. I'd imagine that's another tasty combo.

Quasi-Chinese for the Main, Quasi-Caribbean on the Side
Back when I was having my jerk cravings, I'd bookmarked a recipe for an interesting rice dish. Maybe it even qualifies as a pilaf or pulao in their traditional sense, but it's not like the pilafs and pulaos I've found in Indian and Persian cooking resources. You can decide for yourself, Gentle Reader.

Jamaican Rice
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 large onion, sliced
1/2 red apple, cored and sliced
1 pinch curry powder
1 C water
2/3 C brown rice
1 t dark molasses or treacle
1 small banana, sliced
1 T unsweetened flaked coconut
  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and red apple and cook until the onion is transparent.
  3. Season with curry powder, thend stir in the water.
  4. Add the rice and molasses, cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and all the water has been absorbed (about 30 min.).
  5. Stir in the banana, then sprinkle the coconut on top.
  6. Heat through for a moment over low heat before serving.
Yield: 2 servings

Nutritional Info
Calories: 400
Fat: 10.9 g
Protein: 6 g
Carbs: 71.9 g
Fiber: 5.6g
Sodium: 10 mg

The Faudie's Futzings
I didn't mess with this one much, and maybe I should have:
  • I used maybe a teaspoon of olive oil instead of a tablespoon (yikes!) of veggie oil.
  • I used regular 'ol unsulphured molasses--Grandma's, in fact (not as in Graga's, coming from the kitchen of my maternal grandmother, bless her narcissistic, sedentary soul) because that's all I have.
  • I didn't add in flaked coconut. Between the macaroons Mum made and the jerk chicken pasta-cum-curry I made recently, I've had my fill of coconut for the decade, thank you.
This side dish was a bit of a disaster. I knew the rice would need more than 30 minutes to cook, and it still wasn't ready after 45 minutes. Despite the grains being a bit...well, chewy would be the best way to describe the rice's need for a tad extra mastication, I stirred in the sliced banana and served it up.
Half-cooked mush in a pot. Yum.

Despite my failure to cook the rice thoroughly and the somewhat stomach-turning image above, the dish was pretty tasty, a little on the sweet side and a nice departure from the more earthy and occasionally savory rice flavors we're used to here at Chez Boeckman-Walker. (Trust me when I write that we do eat a lot of rice here at Chez Boeckman-Walker, and most of it isn't just plain Jane stuff either.) I don't think it was diminished by the lack of coconut because that mere teaspoon of molasses was adequate sweetener.

Perhaps it wasn't intended to be as sweet as my dish turned out. Perhaps a dark molasses (which I admit I don't know what precisely that is--perhaps blackstrap molasses?) would have given it a different flavor. As I made it, the sweetness of the molasses and fruit slices completely overwhelmed the curry powder. In fact, if I were to make this dish again--which is highly improbable--I might use jerk seasoning instead of curry powder. After all, this is Jamaican rice and jerk seasoning strikes me as somehow more apropos.

Considering the sad state of the side dish, I found myself wishing I'd just whipped up a batch of plain 'ol Jasmine rice to go with the fish, especially since it's sweeter sauce was not of the same sweet flavor profile as the Jamaican rice. Ah well. Live and learn.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP