27 May 2009

The Faudie’s 10 Best Recipes, as Chosen by the Husband

A post from the husband (obviously, given the title):

What better way to celebrate the one-year anniversary of this blog than by indulging in some obsessive-compulsive list making? Angela’s shared a lot of good recipes through the blog--as of today, there are 84 posts tagged “recipes,” many containing multiple recipes--so I thought it would be fun to select the 10 that are the best of the best. If you haven’t tried these yet, you’re missing out!


10. Pasta With Chicken, Broccoli and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Honestly, this recipe would have made the list just so I could link to the original post. The caption to that first picture cracks me up. Fortunately, the dish is really enjoyable too. We’ve since made this pasta a few more times, with various results in getting the sauce to thicken more. It's always delicious, though. (And who knew I liked broccoli?)

9. Beef and Potato Curry
Any dedicated reader of this blog should have picked up on the fact that we don't have beef often. This is one of those rare instances in which we did, and it came out great. Yay for cows!

8. Chicken-Chickpea Harira
Not to draw attention away from the recipe, but I have to say I'm disappointed the Justice League Unlimited video Angela embedded in this post no longer works. That was a really good episode, and it makes me wish they'd done more episodes with Huntress and Black Canary. Anyway, the harira was really good too. (And who knew I liked chickpeas?)

7. Mango-Agave Sorbet
In the original post Angela mentions that she might try using better tequila if she were to make the sorbet again. That's exactly what she did, and the results were fantastic. The second time around, the flavors of the mangoes, the agave and the tequila blended together very well. The moral of the story, apparently: Don't be cheap when buying your tequila!

6. Spicy Chicken Couscous
As Angela notes in her post, this one has a delightful combination of spiciness and sweetness. I'm looking forward to having it again.

5. The Faudie's Thai Chicken Stir Fry
This one’s become something of a family staple. It’s easy to prepare, which is good for busy school nights. It's also very, very tasty. (And who knew I liked bell peppers?)

4. Sweet Orange Salmon
The best fish recipe on this blog. That rub is another great example of the spicy/sweet combination I'm fond of.

3. Rosemary Chicken with Orange-Maple Glaze
This one didn’t get much coverage on the blog, since it happened during the middle of my surgical drama last year. I remember Angela making the chicken while I was unable to eat, and the rosemary/orange/maple smell of it nearly drove me nuts. I'm happy to give the recipe a second chance at getting some attention.

2. Curried Lamb Stew
Dozens of Indian recipes on this blog, and I choose the curry from Canada for my top 10 list? Indeed I do. It's one of those dishes you want to keep eating until you explode (which is a good thing, really). But make it with chicken, not lamb.

And the absolute best recipe of all . . .

1. Ooey-Gooey Peanut Butter-Chocolate Brownies


The best recipe on this blog, period. (What? Did you think I was going to choose something with vegetables in it for the #1 recipe? I may have developed a new appreciation for broccoli, chickpeas and bell peppers, but I haven't gone crazy. These brownies are awesome!)

Honorable Mentions:


Keep in mind that these are just the "best of the best"--we've tried lots of good recipes over the last year. My apologies if I've overlooked any that should have been on this list. There are also some good recipes we tried that didn't make it onto the blog for one reason or another--spicy chipotle turkey burgers and tortilla soup come to mind, for example. I never would have guessed when Angela started this blog that it would have led to so many great discoveries.

UPDATE
Angela informs me (correctly) that chickpeas are legumes, not vegetables. That's why she's authoring a food blog and I'm not!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP