14 May 2009

Remember the 90s?

Remember computing in the 90s?

I don't know about your own experiences, Gentle Reader, but computing in the 90s sort of had three phases for me: (1) Slightly faster, slightly smaller, more user-friendly computers at the high school with home PCs becoming easier to buy thanks to Sam's and Best Buy; (2) the dawn of Internet access and growing use of dial-up modems (don't ask how long I was a member of AOL and how grateful I was when it offered a flat rate), with computing becoming more about finding information on the Web than about producing real work you could hold in your hands and (3) that whole Dot-Com thing and the Y2K craze that led us into the new millennium, with computing really being about infotainment. (We won't go into the bust 'o the Dot-Com era or the hype of Y2K because we were then in the 2000s, not the 90s.)

Anywho, PC World has on its Web site a fun look back at various computer-related IP that were once big and now...well, ya get nostalgic and feel really outdated talking or even thinking about them.

Hmm. I guess, really, I am old. And is it such a bad thing the boy will never know the sloth of dial-up modems? No, he'll have his own kind of Internet access sloth to experience--but it won't be like it was back in my day! Why, back in my day, I had to....

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP