03 January 2009

Purloining and Other Petty Crimes

I've mentioned a time or two, Gentle Reader, about how cheap I am. Am I proud of my cheapness? Sometimes. Am I ashamed? Sometimes.

The weekend after Christmas, the boys and I were scavenging Targets and Half-Price Books for bargains. While at the South HPB, I happened upon a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking. I'd thumbed through it before and did so again because I was curious if something might catch my eye that would compel me to buy it.

That didn't happen, but a recipe did catch my eye. So what did I do? I did what any other cheap person would do: I dug out an old Wally World/HEB list and a pen from my purse and hastily scribbled down the recipe.

Am I proud of what I did? Not really. Am I ashamed? Not really. I need another Indian cookbook like I need a hole in my head, but I really, really wanted to try out the recipe for tarka masoor dal I found. And yes, I know my act makes me no better than some scumbag who swipes change from a fountain, but again, I don't feel too much remorse.

Red Lentils Tarka
1 1/2 C red lentils (masoor dal)
1/2 t ground turmeric
1 1/4-1 1/2 t NaCl
Oil (peanut or veggie)
Pinch of asafetida
1 t cumin seeds
3-5 dried red chiles
  1. Pick over then rinse the lentils.
  2. Add 5 C of water to the lentils in a pot, add the NaCl and turmeric and bring it to a simmer and let it simmer 35-40 min. partially covered.
  3. Right before the lentils are ready, heat the oil in a skillet or pan, add the asafetida, wait a second, then add the cumin seeds.
  4. When the seeds begin to pop, add the chiles.
  5. Once the chiles are dark red, add the pot's contents to the lentils.
I can't provide serving yield, serving size or nutritional info. I doubt it was included with the recipe.

The Faudie's Futzings
The recipe that appears above is not exactly the way it appears in the book. Jaffrey calls for the oil (I used olive oil), asafetida, dried chiles and cumin seeds to be prepped in a large skillet to which you add the lentils and their water once the chiles are ready--but I didn't do that. I don't think the flavor was affected in any way.

Oh, I didn't add the salt to the simmering lentils. I didn't feel the need.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP