30 March 2009

Really, I Don't Sweat That Much

I really, really wish I could report that I love my new iPod Shuffle after its first outing at the gym. I really do.

I really, really wish I could report that my new iPod Shuffle worked fabulously during its first outing at the gym today. I really do.

I really, really wish I could get a piece of electronic equipment that didn't give me grief. I really do.

Well, Gentle Reader, it seems I have once again paid good money to be a company's beta tester. Yes, much like my much-beloved Nike+ Sportsband that had almost zero tolerance for moisture, it seems the 3G iPod Shuffle's headphone controls have almost zero tolerance for moisture.

Like many other users have reported on Apple's support forum, about 20 minutes in my run this morning, the volume suddenly cranked itself up to damn near full blast--not terribly great for the 'ol eardrums. I thought at first that the control had gotten wedged between my bra strap and my shoulder, but I was wrong. It was still bouncing free between my ear and my collarbone. I managed to get the volume turned down, but then the controls stopped responding.

After a few minutes of futzing with the thing, which I'd turned off and taken off so I could better experiment and hopefully find a fix, while still running (not a great thing when my gait is already funky), I stopped, zipped out to my car and hoped I might be able to get my old earbuds to somehow work with the Shuffle. Heh, no go, but miraculously, the Shuffle's controls started working again.

Hmm, I mused as I stalked back to my treadmill. Perhaps they needed just a few moments to dry out. That's not a good hypothesis.

I started back up again, and sure enough, I was about 20 minutes into my second go-round when the volume jacked itself back up. I kept running, got the volume back down to a tolerable level and was hopeful I'd be good for the remaining three miles.

How Easily Hopes Are Dashed
Need I tell you, Gentle Reader, that the volume cranked itself back up a third time shortly after it did that the second time? Need I tell you that this third experience was much like the first?

Given that I was growing incredibly frustrated and just wanted to be done with the whole thing. I chucked the headphones into one of the treadmill's molded plastic drink cubbies, set the Shuffle on the literature molded plastic lip, alongside my old Nano that was hard at work tracking my mileage and whatnot, and just finished the remaining 2.5 miles sans music. Yeah, that was oh so enjoyable. But I got the job done.

In case you're wondering, Gentle Reader, the controls were working fine again once I got home and tested them.

Bum Equipment
I'm not sure what to do about my Shuffle. I'm sure taking it to the Apple store will entail a product swap, which means I'll have to charge and load up music to yet another music player that will only be replaced. All I really wanted to do today after my gym time was come home, do some work for a client and then rest my leg.

Do I return the Shuffle to Target, where I bought it just yesterday, and wait until Apple puts out redesigned earbuds? If I do this, what am I supposed to do for music, that safeguard for my sanity, in the meantime when I'm at the gym? Rely on my old Nano, which has already had corrosion issues with its headphone jack? Yeah, there's a scenario that screams "Disaster waiting to happen!"

Ugh, I hate being a paying beta tester. But, hey, that's the nature of the electronics market, isn't it?

Sad. Truly sad.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP