17 March 2009

This Fish Is Also Delish!

While I don't think anything can compete with Gulf red snapper served Gulfside at Gaido's, the adult human residents of Chez Boeckman-Walker enjoyed a new salmon recipe that's pretty damn good.

Wanna know more, Gentle Reader? Of course you do!

Sweet Orange Salmon
2 T brown sugar
1 t chili powder
1/2 t grated orange rind
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground coriander
1/8 t black pepper
4 6-oz. salmon fillets
  1. Preheat the broiler.
  2. Combine all the spices in a small bowl.
  3. Rub the spice mixture over both sides of the salmon fillets.
  4. Place the salmon on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
  5. Broil the salmon for 8 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork.
Nutritional Info
Calories: 303
Fat: 13.3 g
Sat fat: 3.1 g
Protein: 36.2 g
Carbs: 7.5 g
Fiber: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Sodium: 235 mg

The Faudie's Futzings
The husband actually put the rub together since I was busy doing a few other projects in the kitchen. When he read me the list of ingredients so I could retrieve them for him, I actually asked, "What kind of chili powder?" Am I crazy to think that a lot of different kinds of chili powder are available, Gentle Reader, and that the recipe, which came from Cooking Light, should have specified which kind? Then again, I vaguely remember Mum having a bottle or tin of McCormick-brand chili powder or some other brand of chili powder on her spinner rack in one of the kitchen cabinets, so I suppose in a way the magazine is being specific. (I'm not even sure if Whole Paycheck and Central Markup sells plain chili powder in their bulk foods playland. Guess I'll have to check.)

Anywho, since I don't have any regular chili powder, I gave the husband our big tub of ground red pepper that I bought at the Korean market ages ago. It's got a nice kick--probably moreso than any Midwestern meat-and-potatoes eater-friendly chili powder product that McCormick makes.

The only other futzing we did was to replace the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of Splenda brown sugar blend. I don't even have any regular brown sugar in my pantry these days. Oh well.

I whipped up some orange basmati rice to go along with the salmon. I'd intended to make the wonderful orange couscous from Trail of Crumbs, but I only had 1.75 ounces or so of couscous--not nearly enough for the husband and me. Once the basmati was ready, I threw in the zest of one medium-size orange, juiced roughly half of that orange into the rice then chopped up the other, slightly larger half and added it to the rice. For something I half-assed on the spot, I thought the rice turned out quite nicely, and it was a great accompaniment to the salmon.

By the way, does anyone else miss the days when The Simpsons was funny and watchable? Before Homer became a complete doofus and caricature of the bumbling father stereotype? I'd forgotten how fun that show was. "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish"--from which I stole the title of this post and its predecessor--was really funny and very entertaining. If you want to watch it poorly dubbed in Russian, check it out here.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP