05 September 2008

Batty Friday

It's been a screwy week here at Chez Boeckman-Walker, and while I'm struggling to grasp the concept that today really is Friday, not Wednesday or Thursday as I keep thinking it is, I'm pleased as punch that the weekend is just hours away.

Target Finds
For those of you unable to drive a few miles to a Target, I really do feel sorry for ya. I speak true, for I grew up without Target. In fact, I didn't really become a regular Target shopper until 1998 or so, which was a good two years after I'd moved to a city with plentiful Targets.

A Target can be much like Half-Price Books: Ya never know what kind of treasures you're going to find. And today was a great treasure find. "Why?" you asked, Gentle Reader? To put it quite simply...

Halloween Is Coming!

Yup, I'm one of those overgrown children who just enjoys the hell outta Halloween. It's so much better than the end-of-the-year glut of holidays (yes, I'm talking largely about that king of emotional baggage-laden holidays, Christmas), plus the color scheme fits. Every year I look forward to the clearancing of school supplies to make way for cheap costumes, gaudy decorations, garish animatronics and other fun, ghoulish stuff. At last, that time has arrived.

And I scored me my first Halloween buy of the year: a reusable tote featuring Domo, which Wiki tells me isn't just a cute little anime-ish monster but the mascot of Japan's NHK TV station. What the mascot of a Japanese TV station is doing on American Halloween-themed reusable grocery totes just...makes perfect sense to me in my world. Really. I'm not shitting you here, Gentle Reader.

(And now that I read a little more into Domo's entry in Wiki, I see that the little guy has appeared in animated shorts that started running on Nick in early 2008. So he's not schilling Japanese TV. He's just another crappy kiddy cartoon product placement. Boy, I feel so used now.)

While I'm a huge fan of misshapen monsters, ya gotta love the marshmallow puff bats that are chasing poor Domo:

On the other side of the bag, poor put-upon Domo is tormented by misshapen spiders:

Edvard Munch meets Uglydolls--that's fantastic stuff, Gentle Reader!

In addition to the nifty graphics on both sides of the bag, it folds up to the side of a large wallet. Even better, the way to fold it up correctly to get it to stay folded up is obvious, unlike the folding required for the RuMe bags I have (which I love nevertheless). See for yourself, Gentle Reader, how collapsible this bag is:



The folding of this tote is so obvious even brain-damaged cats such as
Mr. P, seen here inspecting his work, can do it!

In addition to the nifty tote whose virtues I'm finished extolling, I scored some cheap AA batteries (a pair for 70 cents!), some cheap index cards for the pile of recipes I need to write down, a five-pack of notebooks (only 35 cents!) and, best of all, some magnetic to-do lists emblazoned with Batman. I loves me some cheap Bat stuff from the Dollar Spot! Okay, we don't love so much the ballpoint Bat pens we bought from the first spate of Bat buck stuff that write only occasionally; those we here at Chez Boeckman-Walker have dubbed "Bruce Wayne's cheap-ass pens" and avoid using even though all those little Bat symbols are kinda nifty.

Speaking 'o the Bat....
As I've noted before, I find Christian Bale to be pretty easy on the eyes, especially when I'm putting in seven miles on a treadmill. While his performance in The Dark Knight--or at least his vocal performance (which the studio has admitted was digitally futzed with) as Batdude--has become the butt of many jokes and derided by more than a few folks, I don't think Christian Bale is that horrible an actor. I can think of many, many other actors I'd rank well below him in terms of watchable performances. But, hey, that's just me.

But if you find Mr. Bale laughable or ya just need a good laugh on this first Friday of September, check out one intrepid blogger's visual report on the uncanny resemblance in acting talent betwixt Mr. Bale and a certain beloved frog. Trust me, this report will either have you laughing your arse off or convinced that the frog and the Welshman are one and the same.

Happy Friday, Gentle Reader! Have a rockin' weekend!

2 comments:

Melissa September 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

Okay, that almost made me cry. :( I so miss a good trip to Target. But I am quite excited that we will be in the good ol' US of A for Halloween because we too at Chez Walker-Sacks (okay, so it's just Chez Sacks) absolutely love Halloween. What's the kiddo going to be this year?

Sarah Naseem Walker September 5, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

Ahh, I didn't mean to make ya cry, Lis! Cheer up--you'll be Stateside in time to pick up some Halloween goodies if all goes according to plan! And if not, the boy can always send ya a care package full of orange and black and chocolate and mallowcreme goodness!

Speaking of the boy, no, I don't know yet if he's decided on what he wants to be for Halloween. He's mentioned a few things, but I suspect he'll be going as a Jedi. The FSM knows he's got plenty of light sabers to choose from, and Nana recently made him a Jedi (bath)robe. I'm sure I can score some white or poo-brown sweats or something I can turn into the fine garb of a Jedi.

Then again, he'll probably pull something strange and unexpected out of his...head. Yeah, out of his head. ;-)

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP